Google Sites

Okay, so I have to admit that I have been trying to use tools besides those in the G Suite. Don't get me wrong, G Suite tools are great and very useful for teachers and students. The thing is, I'm trying not to drink the Google Kool-Aid. Yes, G Suite (Google Apps for Education or GAfE) are amazing free tools for teachers. They aren't perfect and they aren't the solution to every problem. Also, while G Suite is free for educational purposes, that doesn't mean Google isn't making money from G Suite. Don't send the villagers with torches and pitchforks, I'm not dissing Google. Google is a business and businesses have to make money to stay in business. It's actually sound business strategy to get as many people as possible to use your products, even if they are using them for free. Then, when they no longer use them for free, they will still use them. So now you are saying to yourself that you don't pay for Google products at home. You're right, but when you use Google products at home for free, you are now the product.

What does all of this have to do with Google Sites? I must confess that my Google semi-boycott aside, I am hooked on the new Google Sites. I find myself coming up with specious reasons to create web sites. We need to create a collection of documents? Let's make a Google Site. I need to create a technology tools portfolio? Another Google Site. Professional personal web site? You got it-Google Site. I'm hooked; it's almost an addiction.

So why Google Sites? That's an easy answer. The new Google Sites is almost ridiculously easy to use. Google has made it so simple to add images and videos from your computer and the web as well as from Google Drive. You can also embed content from YouTube, Google Calendar, and Google Maps. Google has even added some beautiful themes and made it very easy to pick one of them.

This screencast shows you how to get started on Google Sites.


This article by Alice Keeler, Google guru, has 7 tips to help you use Google Sites.



Comments